Request an extension while upgrading

If you hold a certificate that is set to expire, you may request an extension in the six months prior to the expiry date of your certificate. We review all extension requests, however an extension is not guaranteed.

If your certificate expires, you are no longer authorized to teach in B.C. and you will not be able to request an extension – you will need to apply for certification.

Last updated: September 15, 2020

On this page: 

Certificate extensions

  • Conditional Certificate: A one-year extension can be requested if you have been unable to complete your courses because of circumstances out of your control (e.g. serious illness)
  • Interim Independent School Teaching Certificate: A four-year extension can be requested if you have not completed the equivalent of 1.5 years full-time teaching
  • Developmental Standard Term Certificate: A one-time extension of four years can be requested if you have made enough progress in completing your coursework requirements

Request an extension while upgrading

Include the fee with your written request (step 2). You can:

  • Send a cheque, money order or bank draft to Ministry of Education – make it payable to the Minister of Finance


Send a written request to to request a certificate extension. Send your request up to six months before your certificate expires.

Every request is evaluated on a case-by-case basis so be sure to describe your personal situation and include:

  • A list of the courses you have completed and a plan for how/when you will complete the rest of the required coursework


  • The amount of teaching experience you have (independent school teaching certificate holders)

Provide any supporting documents that would be relevant to your request, for example:

  • Have the post-secondary institution where you completed your courses send an official copy of your transcript to the Ministry of Education
  • Ask for a letter from a doctor or another professional that describes an illness or other extenuating circumstance

You may be asked to provide more supporting documents upon review of your request.