Information for elementary school students in care

Last updated: March 11, 2021

On this page:

Know your rights

Like every other child, you deserve to be safe, to be healthy, to be heard and to be yourself. Safe may look and feel different for every person. While you are in government care, you have special rights to protect you while you are in care. You have the right to stay connected with your family, culture and community. Find out the special rights you have in This is Me and I have Rights – Activity Book (PDF).

Ask a trusted adult for help when you don’t feel safe or heard. This could be your teacher, social worker, family members or any other adult you trust. The Representative for Children and Youth can also help you.

Indigenous children in care

If you identify as an Indigenous child in care, you have the right to stay connected to your culture, community, traditions and languages. Traditional teachings can help you learn more about who you are and get through tough times. Your social workers, your teachers and your local Aboriginal Friendship Centre can help you connect to your culture.  

Children with disabilities or diverse abilities

You have the right to take part in all classroom and school activities. Diverse ability means we all have different ways of being and doing things. If you are feeling left out at school talk to your social worker, teacher or another trusted adult. You can find other help and services where you live.

Take care of your mental wellness and safety

Being in care can be stressful. When we get stressed, it is normal for our body to tense up, to have a tummy ache or to feel stuck and like we can’t talk or move. Watch the video Fight Flight Freeze – A Guide to Anxiety for Kids to learn how your body reacts when you get stressed or scared. Find more resources about mental wellness on our Erase website. 

If you need help with your fears, anger or other emotions, or if you are feeling unsafe, talk to someone. Let an adult know who can help you with your situation. They can also help you if you or a friend is experiencing discrimination or harassment related to sexual orientation or gender identity. The Erase Report It tool is an easy way to send a message to an adult in your school, who will help right away. For more information on your safety in school and on-line, visit the Erase. 

You can find more supports related to sexual orientation and gender identity on PFLAG Canada website and Trans Care BC.

You can also call the Helpline for Children 24/7 to talk to a counsellor at 310-1234. If you or someone else is in immediate danger, try to get to a safe place first and then call 9-1-1.