Student Disputes & Appeals

Informal Dispute Resolution

Ideally, conflicts or concerns are resolved directly with the board staff involved.

If the problem has not been resolved after speaking with the person most directly involved, consider speaking with the school principal.

Next, consider speaking to staff in the school district office.

Many board of education appeal policies require that people try to resolve concerns informally before making an appeal to a board of education.


The School Act provides for two levels of appeal for students or their parents:

  1. First, to the Board of Education.
  2. Then to a Superintendent of Appeals at the Ministry of Education.