B.C. is committed to better, smarter regulations and services that promote economic growth, innovation, and inclusion. We are working hard to make sure our regulations, policies and programs are clear, streamlined and meet the needs of people, businesses and industry – now and in the future – so that all can grow and thrive.
How We Build Better Regulations
We work at all stages of policy development, review and renewal to keep B.C.'s regulations and policies modern and inclusive, enabling innovation and investment through smart, agile regulation and purposeful policy and decision-making.
Policy Development and Decision-Making
- The Regulatory Reform Policy and Regulatory Impact Checklist provide a framework for policy development
- Potential impacts to people, businesses and the economy are included in the Cabinet decision-making process using a consistent approach to analysis
Review and Accountability
- Under the Regulatory Reporting Act, we profile government’s regulatory and service improvements in our Annual Report
- The Regulatory Requirements Count helps make sure that B.C.’s regulations stay streamlined, agile and enable innovation
- The Net Zero Increase commitment (NZI) has kept us well under the baseline of regulatory requirements established in 2004
- We leverage technology to efficiently address outdated, complex or unnecessary requirements
- We regularly engage in outreach with key partners to identify barriers and opportunities to better meet the needs of people and businesses
Renewal and Modernization
- We use the Better Regulations for British Columbians amendment process every year to efficiently update regulations across government
- We are removing gendered terms and other non-inclusive or outdated language from B.C.’s regulations, policies and programs so that all British Columbians see themselves reflected
- We are collaborating with stakeholders to design smart regulations that help promote growth and innovation in a rapidly changing economy