Agricultural Land & Environment

Protecting soil, water, air and biodiversity is important for the agricultural sector. Government provides tools and information to support farmers and growers ensure sustainable and environmentally friendly use of these resources.

Agroforestry

Agroforestry is a land management approach that purposefully integrates the growing of trees with crops or livestock.

Air Management

British Columbia is proud to be a leader in sustainable environmental management – with air and water quality that ranks among the highest in the world.  Effective nutrient, waste and manure management contribute a great deal to improving air quality and preserving our environment.

Biodiversity

Biologically diverse ecosystems provide a number of critically important goods and services that benefit humans. While conserving and enhancing biodiversity may come at a cost to producers, there are immeasurable benefits to farmers and ranchers.

Climate Action

Government is taking steps to adapt to climate change and reduce greenhouse gas emissions in each of the province’s major economic sectors, including agriculture. Find out what agricultural producers can do to adapt to climate change and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

Soil and Nutrients

Soil is one of British Columbia's most important resources. Soil supports the growth of fiber and food; acts as a filter for air and water; affects global climate through gas exchange and storage; contains a diverse array of organisms; and supports natural ecosystems and wildlife habitat.

Nutrient management is about supplying crops with the appropriate amount, form, placement, and timing of nutrients (whether as manure, commercial fertilizer, or other nutrient sources) to optimize crop growth and minimize environmental risks.

Strengthening Farming

The Strengthening Farming program promotes strong working relationships between local and provincial governments and the farming community. The program supports fair resolution of land use conflicts and effective community planning for a sustainable agriculture and aquaculture industry in British Columbia.

Waste Management

Effective waste management procedures and solutions contribute a great deal to preserving our environment.  Maintaining responsible and efficient agricultural waste management practices is important for farmers and citizens of British Columbia. 

Water and Riparian Areas

About 97% of water licensed in British Columbia is for power production. The remaining 3% of water licensed is for consumptive uses such as industrial, commercial, drinking water or agriculture.

Environmental Farm Plan

Environmental farm planning helps producers identify both environmental strengths and potential risks on their farms.

Read the guides:

Agricultural Regions

Each agricultural region in B.C. has its own character and growing conditions, and each is known for producing a range of crops, livestock, and processed food products.


Find information specific to your region

Range and Grassland

Crown range lands and grasslands support a substantial proportion of the province’s grazing industries. 

Useful Contacts

AgriService BC

Have a question? Call or email and a staff person will assist you.

Telephone: 1-888-221-7141

Email: AgriServiceBC@gov.bc.ca