Manure Spreading Advisories
For producers, manure spreading advisories provide guidance about the ‘right time’ and the ‘right place’ for responsible manure spreading.
The guidance includes considerations of soil, weather, and crop conditions as well as buffer widths from ditches or watercourses, to minimize environmental risks from manure spreading.
Interior – British Columbia
For the Interior region, monthly guidelines are provided that reflect seasonal changes in climate. Producers are responsible for decisions regarding manure spreading and interpretations of these guidelines for their individual circumstances.
- Monthly Manure Spreading Practices in the Interior Region (PDF)
excerpt from Environmental Farm Plan Reference Guide
South Coast – British Columbia
For the South Coast region, manure spreading advisories are adapted from monthly guidelines to reflect general conditions at the time of their release. Producers are responsible for decisions regarding manure spreading and interpretations of these advisories for their individual circumstances.
Current Advisories & Updates
Read the latest manure spreading advisories and updates for the south coast of British Columbia (Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island).
Application Risk Management Pilot Project
A pilot project is beginning in early 2016 in cooperation with farmers. The project is named after a risk assessment tool originally developed in Washington State, called (Manure) Application Risk Management (ARM). During the pilot, a B.C. ARM system will be evaluated as a way to improve manure spreading advisories for the B.C. South Coast.
Previous Advisories and Updates
- Update January 4, 2016 (PDF)
- Update February 1, 2016 (PDF)
- Advisory No. 1 - February 22, 2016 (PDF)
- Advisory No. 2 - April 1, 2016 (PDF)
- Update - September 1, 2016 (PDF)
- Advisory No. 3 - October 4, 2016 (PDF)
- Manure Spreading Advisory No.4, November 7, 2016 (PDF)
- Update February 1, 2017 (PDF)
- Update March 1, 2017 (PDF)
- Manure Spreading Advisory No.1, April 3, 2017 (PDF)
- Update June 1, 2017 (PDF)
- Update, July 2017 (PDF)
- Update, August 1, 2017 (PDF)