Hunting in B.C.
Wildfire Notice: Due to severe wildfire activity, please be advised that vehicle and access restrictions are in place in portions of the province to prevent human-caused wildfires and protect human safety. While planning your angling, hunting, or trapping expedition please visit fire bans and restrictions for the most up to date information.
Note that wildfire activity in parts of the Kootenay-Boundary, Cariboo and Thompson regions is particularly intense, with large portions of these areas still burning. If your hunt is planned for any of the following Management Units please ensure you first familiarize yourself with the forest use restrictions in place in those areas, which may apply to part or all of the MU:
- Kootenay-Boundary: MUs 4-1 to 4-5, 4-20 to 4-26 and 4-34 to 4-35 (click here for more information)
- Cariboo: MUs 5-1, 5-2, 5-3, 5-4, 5-6, 5-11, 5-12, 5-13 and 5-14.
- Thompson: MUs 3-17, 3-18, 3-29 and 3-30
Hunters are reminded that these restrictions are in place to ensure their safety and the safety of firefighters on the ground.
Electronic-based resident hunting licences are now available online. If you buy your species licence online, it will be mailed to you. You cannot buy a species licence online and pick it up in-person. If you want to hunt within a few days of buying your species licence, you should buy it at a vendor or at any Service BC or FrontCounter BC location.
Need help using the BC Hunting online system? See our quick reference guides.
The 2017 Fall Limited Entry Hunting Draw has been run.
The Special Mountain Sheep Resident Draw for a 2018 Hunt is open for applications from June 22, 2017 until 11:59 pm on July 28, 2017.
Resident hunters should be familiar with B.C. hunting laws and regulations.
Resident hunters need a Fish & Wildlife ID (FWID) to apply for Limited Entry Hunting or to buy a hunting licence.
Where to buy
You can buy hunting licences or Limited Entry Hunting (LEH) applications in a number of ways:
- Photo ID
- FWID (or Hunter Number)
- Hunt codes (for LEH)
Through the BC Hunting online service. You will need:
- A Basic or Personal BCeID.
- Your Fish and Wildlife ID or your Hunter Number.
- A credit card for online payment.
- Hunt codes (for LEH). These are listed in the LEH Regulations Synopsis (PDF, 11.7MB), or you can view them online when you apply.
You can apply for your FWID and hunting credentials online or at Service BC or FrontCounter BC.
Need help with the BC Hunting online system?
Learn more about:
- Limited Entry Hunting applications
- Group/Shared hunts
- Fish & Wildlife ID
- B.C. resident hunting credentials
- How to access your profile or apply for credentials - Adult (PDF)
- How to access your profile or apply for credentials - Youth (PDF)
- Update your Fish & Wildlife profile (PDF)
- How to buy a resident hunting licence for yourself (PDF)
- How to buy species licences (PDF)
- How to buy a licence on behalf of a youth (PDF)
- How to buy an initiation licence (PDF)
- How to buy special area licences (PDF)
Limited Entry Hunting: