Do I have to take Parenting After Separation?
If you are required to take a Parenting After Separation session, court staff will schedule a Provincial Court appearance only after you or your former spouse has filed a certificate of attendance. Both you and your former spouse must attend a Parenting After Separation session before your first court appearance.
In some cases you are automatically exempted from the requirement to attend a Parenting After Separation session. For example, if:
- You have attended a Parenting After Separation session within the past two years, or
- You and your spouse are filing a consent order
- Your safety or the safety of your children is at risk
- You have also applied for a protection order
- You have a serious health problem, or
- You live in an area where the course isn't offered and you don't have access to the Internet to take the online course