On Disability Assistance
When you’re on disability assistance the amount of financial support you receive depends on the size of your family and whether another person in your family has a Persons with Disabilities designation.
For example, you could get:
- Up to $906.42 if you are single
- Up to $1,516.06 if you and your spouse both have a disability
- Up to $1,332.08 if you are a single-parent family with two children
Community Living BC Payments
- If you are living in a Community Living BC facility, you may get up to $906 per month, the current maximum disability assistance rate
- From your $906, you pay your Community Living BC service provider $716 per month for your basic living costs, leaving you with $190 for personal expenses
In addition to financial support, you may be eligible for supplements to help with the extra costs that people with disabilities may have.
You must get pre-approval before you buy anything. Call 1 866 866-0800 or visit your local office to confirm:
- Your eligibility
- If the item or service you are requesting is eligible
- The process for getting each benefit
You may be able to get money for a monthly nutritional supplement if you have a severe medical condition that causes:
- Chronic, progressive deterioration of health
- Symptoms of wasting
You may be able to get a transportation subsidy if you can't use public transportation due to your disability or if your disability would be made worse through the use of public transit.
The transportation subsidy is available until September 1, 2016.
Working While on Assistance
If you have a disability and receive disability assistance, you can work and earn money. Money you earn, up to a certain amount, does not affect your monthly cheque.
- Find out how much money you can earn annually with no deductions from your disability assistance cheque
Explore career and job options and learn about day-to-day working conditions and what kinds of skills you'll need for today’s job market. We’ll help you:
- Get education and skills training, including funding for assistive adaptations
- Gain work experience
- Find a job
- Create or expand your own business