Authorization to Sell or Use Pesticides

An authorization may be required to sell pesticides, apply pesticides to public or private land, to apply pesticides as a service, or for specified industrial uses or water. Under the Integrated Pest Management Act and Regulation there are four types of authorizations:

  • Certificates are issued to individual pesticide applicators
  • Licences, confirmations and permits are issued to businesses that have certified pesticide applicators

Before using any pesticides, find out which authorization is required for your specific situation. Please refer to the sector review paper to help determine which authorization you need.

Note: The below fillable PDF forms are only compatible with Internet Explorer. You can download Internet Explorer here.

Pesticide Licence

Before you submit an application, first confirm whether you need a licence:

Pesticide Use Confirmation

In general, confirmations are necessary for large-scale industrial operations. If a confirmation is required, a Pest Management Plan must be prepared and subjected to public and First Nation consultation. Only then can it be registered with the Ministry.

Please refer to the sector review paper to help determine which authorization you need.

If your PMP is complete, you can submit a Pesticide Use Notice to obtain a confirmation for pesticide uses prescribed by the Integrated Pest Management Act and Regulation.

Notice of Intent to Treat

Confirmation holders must submit a Notice of Intent to Treat to the Administrator at least 21 days before the first use of pesticides in a calendar year. This form is meant to assist in assuring all necessary information is provided.


Certain pesticide uses require a permit instead of a confirmation or a licence.


Regional Contacts

Contact Information

For questions about legislation or regulation, contact the Integrated Pest Management Program:

Telephone: (250) 387-9502
Fax: (250) 356-0299
PO Box 9341 Stn Prov Govt Victoria, BC V8W 9M1
Share Button