Complaints About Licensed Security Workers and Businesses

Important Notice

Security Worker Licence Renewal Applicants: Due to delays in processing a large number of renewal applications, the Registrar of Security Services is temporarily extending, by two months, all valid one-year and two-year term security worker licences expiring between the months of April and August 2018 (inclusive).

As the maximum term for a security worker licence is three years, no further term extension is possible for renewal applicants holding a three-year licence. Pending renewal applications for holders of three-year security worker licences are being processed on a priority basis. All other applications will still be processed in date order received.

Temporary Extension Letter

The Registrar of Security Services may investigate complaints from members of the public about licensed security workers and businesses in British Columbia. If, after investigating, the Registrar decides that a security worker or business has violated a licence condition, the Code of Conduct, the Security Services Regulation or the Security Services Act, the Registrar can impose a penalty under the act. The Registrar will inform the complainant of the results of the investigation.

The Complaints Process Policy (PDF) provides detailed information about making a complaint.

Submitting a Complaint to the Registrar

Anyone can make a complaint to the Registrar about a licensed security worker or business. The complaint must, however, be about matters that fall under the Security Services Act and Regulation.

To make a complaint, complete this Complaint on an Incident Involving a Security Business or Security Worker (PDF) and email it to Security Programs Division or send it to the mailing address on our contact page. If you mail the form, please write “Attention: Compliance and Enforcement” on the envelope.

Submitting a Complaint to the Ombudsperson

If you are not satisfied with the results of a complaint submitted to the Registrar, you may file a complaint with the Office of the Ombudsperson.