Pay Sponsorship Debt

If you sponsored a spouse or relative to immigrate to Canada and they received social assistance from B.C. during the sponsorship period, you must pay back the amount they received.

You can make a payment:

You'll be mailed a Statement of Account showing how much you owe. If you don’t pay your debt by the due date, collection actions may be taken, including:

  • Notifying Canada Revenue Agency to direct your federal refunds to us so they can be applied to your sponsorship debt
  • Registering a lien against your property or personal belongings
  • Requiring your employer to deduct money from your paycheque
  • Issuing a demand notice to your bank or financial institution to pay money from your account
  • Issuing a Small Claims Action (less than $25,000) or a Supreme Court Action (over $25,000)
  • Filing an order in Small Claims Court or Supreme Court

eTaxBC Online Services

eTaxBC is a convenient online service where you can manage your account, make payments and communicate with ministry staff.

Enrol now to create an account.

Enrol in eTaxBC

Learn more about eTaxBC

Already have an eTaxBC account? Logon or visit our Help Guide for help with eTaxBC.

Arrange a Payment Plan

If you can’t pay your full balance right away, we can work with you to make a payment plan.

Contact us for more information.

Phone: 1 877 405-4911, option 1 (Toll-free)

Dishonoured Payments

If your payment is returned to you by your financial institution as dishonoured for any reason, you’ll need to make another payment.

Interest and a fee of $30.00 will be added to your debt. This is in addition to any fees that your financial institution may charge.

Useful Contacts

If you have questions about why or if you owe a sponsorship debt or about making a payment, contact us at:

Phone: 1 877 405-4911, option 1 (Toll-free)
Fax: 250 356-5604
Share Button