Film and Television Tax Credit
The film and television tax credit is for eligible corporations that produce eligible film or video productions in British Columbia (B.C.). The credits are for domestic productions with qualifying levels of Canadian content.
The film and television tax credit program consists of five distinct tax credits:
- Basic tax credit
- Regional tax credit
- Distant location regional tax credit
- Film training tax credit
- Digital animation, visual effects and post-production (DAVE) tax credit
Changes to the film tax credit rates were announced on May 2, 2016. For productions with principal photography starting on or after October 1, 2016, the DAVE tax credit rate will decrease from 17.5% to 16%.
Changes have also been made to the:
- Calculation of the regional and distant location tax credits for animated productions that start principal photography after June 26, 2015
- Eastern boundary of the Designated Vancouver Area to align with the eastern boundary of the City of Surrey, effective for productions with principal photography starting on or after January 25, 2017
For full details about the film and television tax credit program, including eligibility requirements, and how and when to claim the tax credits, see the bulletins:
- British Columbia Film and Television Tax Credit (CIT 009) (PDF)
- British Columbia Digital Animation or Visual Effects (DAVE) Tax Credit (CIT 011) (PDF)
If you don’t meet the eligibility requirements for the film and television tax credit, you may qualify for the production services tax credit program.
Claiming the Credits
You can claim the credit(s) by completing the British Columbia Film and Television Tax Credit form (T1196), attaching the eligibility certificate or the completion certificate you received for your production from Creative BC, and submitting it with your T2 Corporation Income Tax Return to Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
A separate T1196 and eligibility certificate is required for each production. Enter the total amount of credits from all productions you are claiming on line 671 on Schedule 5, Tax Calculation Supplementary - Corporations.
You must claim the credit(s) no later than 36 months after the end of your corporation’s tax year.
The credit is fully refundable, but must first be applied against total income tax payable. There are no carry-back or carry-forward provisions.
The following legislation applies to the film and television tax credit program: