Long Service Awards
The Long Service Awards program celebrates and commemorates the long-term commitment and loyalty of BC Public Service employees with significant milestone years of service.
Initiated in 1956, the Long Service Awards program recognizes 25, 30, 35, 40, 45 and 50 years of employment with the BC Public Service. Award recipients are honoured at special events held at Government House, Victoria, in September and October each year.
The program strengthens employee engagement through recognizing and honouring the commitment and dedication of long-term BC Public Service employees.
Who is eligible for a Long Service Award?
- Employees who fall under the BC Public Service Act and meet the minimum service requirement of 25 years or more, in five-year increments
- Employees of agencies or corporations that have a merger agreement with the B.C. government and where past service time was recognized at the time of the merger
- Any current BC Public Service employee who has reached one of the Long Service Award milestones but has not previously been recognized
Calculating Years of Service
Long Service Awards recognition time is calculated based on cumulative service time rather than continuous, and is not assessed in the same way as seniority or pensionable time.
To calculate your eligibility
- Count calendar years
- Include the year you started and the current working year regardless of the months and days. If you have worked part of a year, it counts as one year of Long Service Awards recognition time
- Include the years you worked as a seasonal, co-op, part-time or auxiliary employee
- Include the years worked prior to a break in service
The eligibility calculator (XLS, 90KB) helps you calculate years of service.
To attend a Long Service Awards ceremony or receive a Long Service Award, you must register. Registration opens each year in March and closes at the end of April.
Current employees who have missed a milestone can register to receive an award and attend the ceremony as long as they do this before reaching the next eligible milestone.
Official invitations are emailed to registered recipients in June and include the date of the award ceremony. Invitations are sent to the registration email address.
To register or ask questions about the program, connect with your organization’s Long Service Awards contact.
For general questions, contact the Long Service Awards team.
- Must register within one year of their service end date to attend the ceremony and receive their Long Service Award
- Must register within two years of their service end date to receive a Long Service Award