Information for Prescribers
On this page…
- Coverage of specific drugs
- Getting plan or program coverage for your patients
- Information for your patients
- PharmaCare Publications
Find out which drugs PharmaCare covers and whether or not the physician needs to submit a Special Authority request to PharmaCare.
- PharmaCare Formulary Search
- Psychiatric Medications Plan Formulary
- Palliative Drug Plan Formulary (PDF)
Special Authority Information
Some drugs and medical devices are covered only for patients who meet specific criteria. For these drugs, a medical practitioner submits a request for Special Authority coverage. In the case of Blood Glucose Test Strips, a physician must submit a request for coverage if the patient requires more than the annual quantity limits that PharmaCare has established.
- Special Authority Information (Limited Coverage and Reference Drug Program)
- Special Authority Forms
- Insulin Pumps
- Blood Glucose Test Strips
Drug Coverage & Drug Coverage Decisions
Find out about:
- how drug coverage decisions are made
- how patients, caregivers and patient advocacy groups can provide input into those decisions
- why and when a drug coverage decision was made
- whether PharmaCare covers a specific drug
- how manufacturers can request that a drug be considered for PharmaCare coverage
Drug Coverage Information Sheets for Prescribers
- Changes to PharmaCare Coverage for Cholinesterase Inhibitors (PDF)
- Rivaroxaban in atrial fibrillation (PDF)
- Rivaroxaban for deep vein thrombosis or pulmonary embolism (PDF)
Getting Plan or Program Coverage for Your Patients
Psychiatric Medications Plan (Plan G)
PharmaCare covers Methadose™ for maintenance, buprenorphine/naloxone, and Kadian slow-release oral morphine, for opioid use disorder treatment as regular benefits under Plan G. Read more…
Physicians and Nurse Practitioners can apply for access on behalf of eligible patients by completing an Application for PharmaCare Plan G (HLTH 3497) and faxing it to your local Mental Health Substance Use Centre, Child and Youth Mental Health services centre, or mental health contact at the local health authority.
>> See the full list of medications covered under Plan G.
- Please visit the BC Palliative Care Benefits web page for prescribers.
BC Smoking Cessation Program
Is your patient ready to stop smoking or using other tobacco products? The BC Smoking Cessation Program helps BC residents by:
- covering 100% of the cost of certain nicotine replacement products
- contributing to the eligible cost of prescription smoking cessation drugs.
For smoking cessation drugs, the patient requires a physician’s prescription.
To access MAiD medication coverage for your patients, complete an Application for PharmaCare Medication Coverage for Medical Assistance in Dying (HLTH 5466) (PDF).
Do you have a patient with a need for a prosthetic or orthotic device?
Information for Your Patients
Find information sheets on the Fair PharmaCare plan, the Prosthetics and Orthotics Program, the BC Palliative Care Benefits Program, specific drugs and other topics.
PharmaNet connects community pharmacies, physician offices, hospitals, emergency departments and other authorized users to a central database, allowing these users to access (and, in some cases, update) a patient’s medication history.
PharmaCare publications provides links to documents such as the annual PharmaCare Trends Report, PharmaNet data files, patient information sheets and various studies and reviews.