Resort Municipality Funding
The Resort Municipality Initiative (RMI) program is managed by the Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture.
The program is intended to assist small, tourism-based municipalities to support and increase visitation. The RMI program funds projects which result in the following key outcomes for resort-based communities:
- Increased resort activities and amenities
- Increased visitation and visitor activity
- Increased private investment
- Increased employment in the community
- Increased tourism contribution to the local economy
- Increased municipal tax revenue
- Diversification of municipal tax base and revenue
In Budget 2017, the RMI program term was extended to March 31, 2018, providing a full fiscal year of funding for the participating communities. No further changes to the program, including the roster of participating municipalities and the program's funding distribution formula, are anticipated before March 31, 2018.