Choice in Supports for Independent Living

Choice in Supports for Independent Living (CSIL) is a self-directed option for eligible home support clients. CSIL clients receive funds directly from their local health authority to purchase their own home support services. CSIL clients become employers who manage all aspects of their home support from hiring and supervising staff to overseeing how CSIL funds are spent.

People who cannot manage CSIL on their own may be eligible if a client support group or an individual designated as a representative through a Representation Agreement is acting as the CSIL employer.

CSIL clients have control over who they hire to provide personal assistance, when services are scheduled and how tasks are carried out.

Health authorities provide funding for services to the CSIL employer, as outlined in an agreement between the health authority and the CSIL employer, who then directly employs their own care providers. Health authorities determine the amount of funds based on assessment of need and the CSIL Categories of Need Guidelines at a minimum hourly rate of $29.50, effective April 1, 2013. Beginning April 1, 2015, the minimum hourly rate is increased to $29.80.

For more information about CSIL and what is involved in becoming a CSIL employer, you can read the:

Is this care right for me?

CSIL may be suitable if you have a significant physical disability and desire more control and flexibility in managing your home support services.

What are the CSIL eligibility criteria?

In addition to meeting the general eligibility criteria for home and community care services, you are eligible for CSIL if you:

  • have been assessed as requiring home support services as part of your care plan;
  • have a physical disability and high-intensity care needs;
  • have assessed needs that can be met within CSIL, within available resources;
  • have agreed to pay the assessed client rate; and
  • can safely coordinate and manage CSIL services or have a client support group or a CSIL representative acting as a CSIL employer.

To read the general eligibility criteria for all home and community care services, go to:

How do I arrange for CSIL services?

If you are interested in receiving CSIL services or know of someone who might be in need of these services, you can contact your health authority's home and community care office or you can have a health care professional make a referral on your behalf.

For contact information and a detailed description of how to arrange for CSIL services, please see:

How does CSIL funding work?

As a CSIL client, you receive a set amount of funding each month from the health authority to directly purchase your own home support services. The amount of funding you receive is calculated by multiplying the CSIL hourly rate by the number of hours of home support service you require each month (based on a clinical assessment performed by your health authority). For example, if you were assessed as requiring 100 hours of home support per month and the hourly rate is $29.80, you would receive $2,980 per month (100 hours X $29.80 per hour).

Is there a cost for CSIL services?

If you receive CSIL services, you will pay a daily rate based on your income (and the income of your spouse, if applicable). Your daily rate is calculated by multiplying your “remaining annual income” (as defined in the Continuing Care Fees Regulation) by 0.00138889. For more information on how your remaining annual income is calculated, please see:

To determine your monthly contribution, your responsible assessor will multiply your daily rate by the number of days you receive CSIL services in a month. Your monthly contribution will be deducted from the funding amount you receive from your health authority. You are expected to pay your monthly contribution into your CSIL bank account.

If you or your spouse has earned income (as defined in the Continuing Care Fees Regulation) you will not be charged more than $300 per month for CSIL services. Make sure you tell your responsible assessor about any earned income when you are completing your financial assessment.

If payment of your assessed daily rate would cause you or your family serious financial hardship, you may apply to your health authority for a temporary reduction of your daily rate. For more information, please see "What if I cannot afford my assessed daily rate?”, below.


You are not required to pay a daily rate for CSIL services for the first two weeks of receiving short-term home support services after being discharged from a hospital, or if you are eligible for palliative supplies and equipment under the BC Palliative Care Benefits Program.

You are also not required to pay a daily rate for CSIL services if you receive one of the following government income benefits:

  • the Guaranteed Income Supplement, the Spouse’s Allowance or the Widowed Spouse’s Allowance under the Old Age Security Act (Canada);
  • support and shelter allowance under the Employment and Assistance Act or the Employment and Assistance for Persons with Disabilities Act;
  • a War Veterans Allowance under the War Veterans Allowance Act (Canada).

Information for Couples

If you and your spouse are both receiving publicly subsidized home support or CSIL services, you and your spouse will both be assessed the full daily rate. However, only one of you (either you or your spouse) will be charged per service day. Your monthly rate will be recalculated if your living situation changes for any reason and you are no longer living with your spouse.

For more general information on the costs of publicly subsidized home and community care services in B.C.,  please see:

What if I cannot afford my assessed daily rate?

If you are receiving publicly subsidized CSIL services and payment of your assessed daily rate would cause you or your family serious financial hardship, you may be eligible for a reduced rate.

Serious financial hardship means that payment of your assessed daily rate would result in you (or your spouse, if applicable) being unable to pay for:

  • adequate food;
  • monthly mortgage/rent;
  • sufficient home heat;
  • prescribed medication; or
  • other required prescribed health care services.

For more information on eligibility and how to apply for a temporary reduction of your daily rate, please see:

Who is my responsible assessor?

Your responsible assessor is a health authority employee who is responsible for completing your financial assessment(s).  The name and/or contact information for your responsible assessor is included in the client rate notification letter that is mailed out in the fall of each year.

Other Home and Community Care Services

For a full list of the types of care that are publicly subsidized in B.C., see:

Share Button