Theme Mobile MenuTopic Mobile Menu

Useful Contacts

Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm.

Phone: 1-877-388-4440
(toll free within Canada)



This information is for claiming a refund of PST paid on or after April 1, 2013. See our Refunds Prior to July 2010 page for refunds of PST paid prior to July 1, 2010.

If you overpaid provincial sales tax (PST) or paid PST in error on or after April 1, 2013, you may be eligible for a refund of the PST you paid.

Claim a refund by completing the appropriate form to the right. These forms are also available at your local Service BC Centre. Each form includes instructions about what documentation you need to include. You can submit the form and your documentation by mail or courier. Note that the ministry cannot issue refunds of less than $10.

During the transition from the federal HST to the provincial PST, businesses may inadvertently charge you HST when PST applies, charge HST on PST exempt items or charge PST on PST exempt items. If this happens, you may be eligible for a refund of the tax paid. Talk with the business about the transaction. The business can refund you the tax paid in error in most circumstances.

  • If the business refuses to refund HST that you believe was paid in error, you can contact the Canada Revenue Agency at
    1-800-959-5525 or read the General Application for GST/HST Rebates guide (RC4033) to learn more.
  • If the business refuses to refund PST that you believe was paid in error, you can contact us to find out if you are eligible to apply for a PST refund. To learn more about PST refunds and how to claim them, see PST Refunds (Bulletin PST 400) (PDF). 

Time Limits for Claiming a Refund

Generally, you have four years from the date you paid the PST to apply for a refund.

For example, if you paid the PST on April 10, 2013, the ministry must receive your refund claim by April 9, 2017.

Appealing a Disallowed or Reduced Refund Claim

You can appeal a denied or reduced refund claim by writing a letter to the Minister of Finance within 90 days of the date on the letter that notifies you of the denied or reduced refund.

For more information on appeals and how to file, see the Appeals page.