Destination BC Tourism Events Program
The Province has launched a new Tourism Events Program, designed to support world class events that can enhance the volume of visitors to B.C. and increase global recognition for the province.
The Tourism Events Program will support a wide range of events, including arts, cultural or internationally recognized competitive sporting events.
Funding available through the Tourism Events Program is limited and it is expected that there will be considerable interest. Funding will be prioritized to only support events that offer the following opportunities for the province:
- Raise awareness nationally and internationally of B.C.’s tourism brands
- Motivate Canadians and people from around the world to travel and experience B.C.'s natural beauty and/or world class infrastructure
- Offer the greatest incremental tourism and economic impact to the host community and the surrounding region
All applications must further meet the following criteria. The events must:
- Offer high tourism value, resulting in incremental visitor expenditures and other economic benefits that exceed the Province’s contribution (such as: lengthen the tourism season; expanded event scope to encourage longer visitation)
- Engage the local community(ies) and attract a significant volume of visitors
- Align with provincial, regional and/or community tourism marketing strategies
- Be supported by the local community(ies)
- Be secured in order to be considered for program funding (funding for an event bid is not eligible)
Last updated: April 3, 2017