Corrections Research & Evaluation
Performance, Research and Evaluation (PREv) Unit
The Performance, Research and Evaluation (PREv) Unit takes an evidence-based approach to developing, implementing and evaluating BC Corrections’ programs that reduce crime. It combines empirical research with tested best practices to support successful offender reintegration. Learn about our offender programs that are supported by the work of our PREv Unit.
Revealing Research and Evaluation - Study Findings
Revealing Research and Evaluation is a quarterly update on the PREv Unit’s current research and findings.
- Issue 1: Relationship Violence Prevention Program (PDF, 1.0 MB)
- Issue 2: Offender Program Survey Results (PDF)
- Issue 3: Risk Assessment in British Columbia (PDF)
- Issue 4: Nanaimo Correctional Centre Therapeutic Community—Preliminary Impact Analysis and the Strategic Training Initiative in Community Supervision (PDF)
- Issue 5: Integrated Offender Management - (IOM) The Case for Working Together (PDF)
- Issue 6: The Violence Prevention Program and the Pilot Women’s Core Programs (PDF)
- Issue 7: The Drug Treatment Court Program of Vancouver (DTCV) and Re-offence Rate Research (PDF)
- Issue 8: New B.C. Corrections identity management system, supporting research, and preview of ICON II evaluation (PDF)
- Issue 9: The Aboriginal Justice Strategy and the Relationship Violence Prevention Program—Cultural Edition (PDF)
- Issue 10: Highlights evaluations of the Essential Skills to Success program for remanded inmates and the Integrated Offender Management and Homeless Intervention Project (IOM/HIP) (PDF)
- Issue 11: Highlights recent research on offenders with mental illness and high frequency offenders (PDF)
- Issue 12: Highlights preliminary results from the STICS implementation in BC and the rollout of the Thinking Leads to Change program for women offenders (PDF)
The SAM Program Impact Analysis (PDF) examines the impact of the Substance Abuse Management Program on reducing recidivism.
The EMWO and RSWO Program Impact Analysis (PDF) examines the impact of the Emotions Management and Relationship Skills for Women programs on reducing recidivism.
The Integrated Offender Management Program Impact Analysis: Research Report (PDF) examines the impact of the Integrated Offender Management (IOM) pilot project on recidivism.
The IOM/HIP Pilot Project: Evaluation and Final Report (PDF) examines the Integrated Offender Management/Homelessness Intervention Program.
The Impact of Respectful Relationships and Relationship Violence Treatment Programs on Spousal Assault and Recidivism (PDF) reports on two violence-prevention programs and their effect on offenders serving sentences in custody and in the community.
The Nanaimo Correctional Centre Therapeutic Community Preliminary Impact Analysis (PDF) is a preliminary report that shows the program has significant potential to reduce crime.
Contact our PREv Unit
Are you interested in collaborating with our PREv Unit on an academic research project or are you looking for more research into effective corrections practices? Before getting in touch, please first review our Research Guidelines which outline our expectations and research standards.
Contact our Director of Research and Strategic Planning:
Leigh Greiner, PhD
Strategic Operations Division
Corrections Branch, Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General
PO Box 9278 STN PROV GOVT
Victoria, B.C. V8W 9J7
Tel: 250 387-5361