If your community has already completed basic steps towards becoming age-friendly, your local government can apply to have your community officially recognized as an Age-friendly British Columbia (AFBC) community.
AFBC Recognition Program
The AFBC recognition program is designed to recognize and reward success, and encourage and motivate communities to take action towards becoming age-friendly.
Since 2012, 39 communities have received Age-friendly BC Community Recognition.
By becoming a recognized AFBC community, your community will receive the following benefits:
- An AFBC recognition award
- Promotion of your community’s achievements in the AFBC section of the SeniorsBC.ca website and in the SeniorsBC e-Newsletter
- Automatic eligibility to receive official “Pan-Canadian AFC Recognition”, endorsed by the Public Health Agency of Canada and the World Health Organization
- A reward to help your community develop an age-friendly community legacy project, or hold a celebration
For information on how to become a recognized AFBC community, see:
To apply for recognition go to the:
For more information on Age-friendly BC or the recognition program, please contact the Seniors’ Health Promotion Team by:
• Email: AgefriendlyBC@gov.bc.ca