Highway 97 - Stickle Road Intersection
The project includes reconfiguration of the intersection at Stickle Road and Highway 97 in order to improve safety and connectivity. The revised intersection improvement design also involves connecting the south end of the existing Stickle Frontage Road to 20th Street, north of Vernon.
Project cost: $15 million
Status: Construction starting in spring 2018
- Improve safety
- Maintain highway through traffic mobility
- Prevent potential collisions by eliminating cross movements and left turns onto Highway 97
- Improve traffic flow into Vernon by adding a new connection from Stickle Road to 20th Street
The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure is committed to ensuring that the design for the Stickle Road intersection improves safety and community connectivity while considering and mitigating impacts on the environment.
- Highway 97/Stickle Road Safety Review (PDF, 4.5MB)
Independent review carried out by McElhanney Consulting Services Ltd. compares the ministry’s design with a traffic signal option.
- Geotechnical Investigation Report by Golder Associates for the 20th Street Connection (PDF, 3MB)
- Environmental opportunities and constraints for highway improvements, Highway 97 near Vernon B.C. August 2015 (PDF, 14.3MB)
Report by Golder Associates identifies environmental impacts of the project on the surrounding area. The report summarizes the potential impacts to instream, riparian and cattail marsh habitats.
- Swan Lake Wetland Mitigation: Restoration/Enhancement Concept (PDF, 654KB)
Ducks Unlimited Canada has been contracted to compensate for 2,500 m2 (0.62 ac) of disturbed cattail marsh at a 3 to 1 ratio by conducting two restoration/enhancement projects at its Swan Lake Vernon project.
The mitigation and compensation plans are still being finalized by the project team’s environmental group. The development of these plans is an ongoing process, and other potential offsetting measures are still being explored. As more information is gathered and these plans are finalized, the ministry will share them with the public.
Preload construction for the extension of Stickle Road to 20th Street is underway. Tendering the highway portion of the work anticipated for spring 2018.
A Public Open House was held May 26, 2016 in Vernon, B.C.
- Stickle Road Open House Presentation (PDF, 3MB)
- Community Engagement Summary Report, May 26-June 10, 2016 (PDF, 286KB)
- Highway 97/Stickle Road Intersection Improvement Design (PDF, 1.2MB)
Revised design takes into account community and local government input about increasing intersection safety and access to Vernon.