Highway 1 and 216th Interchange Project
This project includes a new interchange at the intersection of Highway 1 at 216th Street, and widening of Highway 1 between 202nd Street and the new 216th Street interchange.
The project is designed to reduce congestion and increase capacity on Highway 1 and improve connectivity between Langley communities north and south of the highway. These communities have grown significantly in recent years and the construction of a new interchange at 216th Street has been a Township of Langley priority for decades.
This $61.9 million project is funded with contributions from:
- The Government of Canada
- Province of British Columbia
- The Township of Langley
Construction began in spring 2017 and is scheduled for completion by winter 2020. Review the most recent project update for more information on planned construction activities for spring/summer 2020.
The 216th Street Interchange and Highway 1 Improvement Project includes constructing a new interchange at the intersection of Highway 1 and 216th Street in Langley, and lane widening of Highway 1 between 202nd and 216th Street.
The full project scope includes:
- Constructing a new full movement, four-lane interchange at 216th Street with left turn lanes that will provide access onto eastbound and westbound Highway 1
- Providing pedestrian and cycling access across the 216th Street Interchange overpass
- Completing extension of HOV ramps to and from 202nd Street
- Upgrade the new general purpose lane to HOV lanes both eastbound and westbound on Highway 1 between 202nd and 206th street (Total 4 km)
The project is designed to:
- Better accommodate growing traffic demands and the current daily traffic volume of more than 106,000 vehicles on Highway 1
- Relieve existing vehicle congestion at the 200 and 232 Street interchanges
- Improve traffic flow and travel times along Highway 1
- Reduce idling times and related air emissions
- Improve connectivity between Langley communities north and south of Highway 1
- Offer more mobility options for the community with the addition of pedestrian and cycling improvements on the interchange overpass
- Provide continuous HOV connection from Grandview Highway in Vancouver to 216th Street in Langley.
- January 2017 Project Update
- 216th Street Traffic Volumes Review Memorandum
- Review of Land Use and Mitigation Guidance for Near-Roadway Land Use White Paper
- Qualitative Near-Roadway Air Quality Analysis for Highway 1 and 216th Street Interchange Memorandum