Highway 99 - Ten Mile Slide
Highway 99 is the most direct connection between Lillooet and Kamloops and is vital to the local and regional economy, as well as the Xaxli’p community. This project will address the slope instability at the Ten Mile Slide location.
The scope of the project includes planning, engineering and construction to implement stabilization measures above and below Highway 99 as well as the reconstruction of the highway.
Status: The project team continues to work with Xaxli’p to finalize an agreement for construction of the stabilization measures within their reserve boundary. Construction is anticipated to commence in Spring 2018.
Project cost: The overall project is estimated at $60M.
- Improves safety and reliability for motorists, the trucking industry and emergency vehicles (Regional hospital services are provided in Kamloops)
- Maintains the most direct connection between Lillooet and Kamloops, which is vital to the local and regional economy, as well as the Xaxli’p community
- Maintains community connectivity and cohesiveness for Xaxli’p while reducing hardships as a result of slide activity
- Responds to requests dating back to the mid-90’s for a long term solution
- Limits future costs associated with extra-ordinary maintenance and stabilization measures due to retrogression
- Consultation with the Xaxli’p community and other key stakeholders began early and is ongoing
- Public information sessions were held on March 16th (at the Xaxli’p Office) and March 29th (at the Lillooet Rec Centre) in 2017
- The following posters and boards were displayed at the information sessions and are available for viewing through the links below:
Should you have any comments or concerns, we encourage you to submit a comment sheet to the project team. Comment sheets may be mailed to the address listed at the bottom of the form or scanned and emailed to the Project Manager’s email listed below.
For more information, please contact Scotty McKenzie, Ministry Project Manager by e-mail at Scott.McKenzie@gov.bc.ca