Highway 1 - Balmoral Road Intersection Safety Improvements
Trans-Canada Highway 1 is a critical link for the communities it serves, and plays a key role in British Columbia’s economy. The section of Highway 1 that intersects Balmoral Road connects the communities of Sorrento and Salmon Arm. It serves a wide range of user groups in the Shuswap and the community of Blind Bay, including residential developments, local businesses, highway traffic, industrial traffic, commercial sites, tourism and recreational sites.
The Highway 1 - Balmoral Road intersection currently consists of an undivided high-speed, four-lane highway with full movement access to and from Balmoral Road. The Balmoral Road intersection has been identified as a collision prone location due to the high-speed nature and the severity of the predominant collision type (high-speed T-bone).
This project is part of the Province’s commitment to improve transportation safety, and specifically includes the following
- Access management improvements to the Highway 1 - Balmoral Road Intersection using raised median curbing;
- Delineation of Highway 1 adjacent to the Balmoral Road intersection through the installation of concrete median barrier;
- Enhanced guide signs directing traffic to alternate Highway 1 access.
Currently in design and option selection phase in preparation for construction in fall 2019.
Reduce the frequency and severity of collisions by:
- Controlling highway access from Balmoral Road onto Highway 1
- Delineation of eastbound and westbound travel lanes on Highway 1
Provide safe, efficient and reliable highway access by:
- Requiring certain movements to access Highway 1 via a grade separated option
An open house was held on June 26, 2019 in Blind Bay to provide an opportunity for the community to provide input on the two design options.