Carson Drive and Toop Road Intersection Improvements
Carson Drive to Toop Road is located in an urban to semi-rural transition zone in Williams Lake. This project involves four-laning 1.5 km of Highway 97 and intersection improvements at Carson Drive and Toop Road as well as improvements to the McKinnon Road, 11th Avenue North and Broadway Avenue North city road connections to Highway 97.
Caron Drive to Toop Road is mainly commercial-use and includes hotels, automobile sales, and machinery sales. Carson Drive is the lone signal along the segment. All other accesses are regulated by stop signs along the side streets. Carson Drive, 11th Avenue North and Toop Road link schools, the hospital, and downtown Williams Lake.
- In construction
- Improve safety and mobility
- Reduce number of conflict points
- Reduce potential collisions with vehicles at Carson Drive and 11th Avenue North
- Reduce potential collisions from vehicles decelerating to turn off highway 97
- Better intersection configuration at Highway 97 and Toop Road and Highway 97 and Carson Drive
- Increase road and shoulder width to improve safety for motorists, cyclists and pedestrians
- Start of construction: September 5th 2017
- Predicted completion: fall 2019
Public Consultation & Design
Public consultation is complete for this project.
- June 26, 2013: Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure held an open house to show the proposed conceptual design.
- August 28, 2013: City of Williams Lake held an open house to show the proposed Johnson Street connection.
- October 28, 2013: Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure and City of Williams Lake held a public forum to show optional local side road connections.
- Carson Drive to Toop Road Intersection Improvements roll plot map (PDF, 9.98 MB)