Highway Use Permit - Structural Setbacks & Encroachment

Structural setbacks protect road and highway safety and efficiency by keeping buildings, structures and walls at a minimum distance from the provincial highway right-of-way.

Property owners with structures located within 4.5 metres from the property line fronting a highway right-of-way must apply for a permit to reduce the setback. If a structure is on the highway right-of-way, the property owner must apply for a permit to allow the encroachment.

Diagram image of setback and encroachment limits

The B.C. government does not issue permits to allow the encroachment of new buildings, additions or major alterations on the highway right-of-way.


Learn more about the highway use permit application process for works.