Special Events on B.C. Highways

In British Columbia, approximately 500 permits are issued annually for special events such as parades, marathons, cycling events, walkathons, running events, car shows and charity activities. 

To apply, your organization must provide the following:

  • Highway Use Application Form
  • Certificate of Insurance
  • Route map(s)
  • Traffic management plan

Please make application a minimum 2-3 weeks in advance of the special event date.

Highway Use Application Form

Certificate of Insurance

As you are responsible for all incidents occurring during or resulting from the event, you will need to:

  • Carry and maintain a minimum of $2 million liability insurance against third-party claims.
  • Carry a maximum deductible no greater than $5,000.
  • At your expense, obtain all permits and licenses necessary for conducting the event.
  • Ensure all personnel hired, or acting on the permittee’s behalf including hired contractors, are competent to perform their duties, adequately trained, fully instructed and supervised.

Safety and Traffic Management Plan

To ensure the safety of the organizers, volunteers, participants and travelling public during the event, applicants must keep themselves fully informed of, and comply with all applicable federal, provincial, and municipal legislation, regulations and bylaws. Your local special events representative can help you navigate these and other requirements (see contacts at right).

  • The regulations of the Motor Vehicle Act, Transportation Act and Workers Compensation Act will apply to all special events.
  • Traffic Management Manual
  • A certified traffic control company (flagging company)  and a traffic supervisor will often be required to ensure the safety of all participants and the travelling public during the event activity.
  • Notify all local authorities and make specific arrangements for assistance, if required. Other agencies that may be involved include:
    • Local police authorities  (e.g. RCMP and/or municipal police forces)
    • Emergency services (e.g. BC Ambulance Service and local fire departments)
    • Municipalities
    • Regional districts
    • Parks
    • BC Ferries
    • Public transit authorities (e.g. where bus lines may be impacted)
  • Fluorescent safety vests, steel toed footwear and hard hats are recommended as safety apparel for traffic control persons, or by all persons working near traffic.