Filming on B.C. Highways

For over 40 years, B.C. has been a key centre for filming commercials and domestic and foreign motion picture productions. The Province accepts applications for filming along a B.C. highway, bridge, road or tunnel.

To apply, film production companies must provide:

  • Highway Use Application form
  • Certificate of Insurance
  • Map of the proposed filming area
  • Traffic management plan

Please make application a minimum 2-3 weeks in advance of the filming project. 

Currently, permits are free of charge for filming on provincial highways in British Columbia.

Highway Use Application Form

Attach to the application form:

  • A traffic management plan showing the location of all proposed traffic control sites, the placement of signs and traffic control persons (flaggers), if applicable.
  • A map indicating the specific filming locations, including film crew parking.

Certificate of Insurance

As the film production company is responsible for incidents occurring during or resulting from the filming, you will need to:

  • Carry and maintain a minimum of $5 million liability insurance against third-party claims.
  • Carry a maximum deductible no greater than $5,000.
  • At the permittee's expense, obtain all applicable permits and licenses necessary for conducting the filming project.
  • Ensure all personnel hired, or acting on the permittee’s behalf including hired contractors, are competent to perform their duties, adequately trained, fully instructed and supervised.

Safety and Traffic Management Plans

To ensure the safety of the travelling public and film crew during the film project, applicants must keep themselves fully informed of and comply with all applicable federal, provincial, and municipal legislation, regulations and bylaws. Your local filming representative can help you navigate these and other safety requirements (see contacts at right).

  • Compliance with all conditions set forth in the Motor Vehicle Act, Transportation Act and Workers Compensation Act.
  • Traffic Management Manual
  • A certified traffic control company (flagging company) and traffic supervisor will often be required to ensure the safety of the film crew and travelling public during the filming.
  • Notify all authorities and make specific arrangements for assistance, if required. Other agencies that may be involved or contacted are:
    • Local police authorities  (e.g. RCMP and/or municipal police forces)
    • Emergency services (e.g. BC Ambulance Service and local fire departments)
    • Municipalities
    • Regional districts
    • Parks
    • BC Ferries
    • Public transit authorities (e.g. where bus lines may be impacted)
  • Fluorescent safety vests, steel toed footwear and hard hats are recommended as safety apparel for traffic control persons, or by all persons working near traffic.
  • Filming operations occurring outside the daylight hours must adhere to specific safety requirements for night filming.