Highway 3 Elko Overhead Replacement
This project will provide a new bridge over the CP Rail tracks on Highway 3 in Elko, as well as improvements to the intersection at Bate Avenue including the addition of a left-turn lane.
The new bridge will replace the existing one that was built in 1950. Replacing this bridge will support the commercial, industrial and tourist traffic that uses the highway.
The highway at this location sees an average of 6,700 vehicles per day, increasing to approximately 9,800 per day in the summer.
The project will provide:
- A new 53-metre long three-span bridge
- Wider shoulders
- Barrier-protected sidewalk on the north side of the new bridge
- Pedestrian tunnel under Highway 3 on the north side of the new bridge
- Intersection improvements including a left turn lane at Bate Avenue
- Improved signage and lighting
- Engineering: 2021
- Tender: early 2022
- Construction: spring 2022 – fall 2022
This project will benefit the community by:
- Improving safety for local residents, travellers and commercial traffic
- Improving mobility including movement of goods and services
- Improving safety for pedestrians with a pedestrian tunnel and barrier-protected bridge sidewalk
- Improving connectivity to local side roads
We welcome your input on this project. If you have comments or questions, please contact the project manager.