Highway 1 - Illecillewaet
This portion of the Highway 1 Kamloops to Alberta program involves expanding the existing brake check area and four-laning a 2 km section of highway 42 km east of Revelstoke.
The project includes:
- Expansion of existing brake check area to accommodate 15 trucks
- Four-laning of 2 km to increase vehicle storage during winter closures and to improve passing opportunities year round
- Acceleration and deceleration lanes for the brake check
- Improved geometrics to 100 km/h design standard
- Turn-around to enable trucks and cars to choose an alternative route
Status: Construction is underway, with completion expected in spring 2022.
- Improve safety and efficiency for users of this highway section, which include commercial transporters, tourists, local residents and general interprovincial and regional travellers
- Provide a storage area for vehicles during avalanche control and avalanche events
- Improve safety as trucks enter and leave the brake check