Highway 1 Main Street/Dollarton Highway Interchange
The new Interchange included the reconfiguration of the Main Street/Dollarton Interchange on-ramp to improve safety, reduce traffic interruptions and to provide better transit accessibility to and from Highway 1.
The new reconfiguration of the Main Street/Dollarton Interchange on-ramps improves safety and reduces traffic interruptions improve traffic flow onto the Iron Workers Memorial Bridge, and provides better transit accessibility to and from Highway 1.
Construction started Summer 2020 - completed Fall 2021
- Opening of the new Highway 1 Main Street Overpass: Completed Summer 2021
- Opening of the new north side multi-use path on Main Streets: Completed Summer 2021
- Opening of the new eastbound on-ramps adaptive signal system: Completed Fall 2021
Main Street/Dollarton Highway Interchange Adaptive Traffic Signal
The Main Street on-ramp and the Highway 1 eastbound on-ramp is controlled using an Adaptive Traffic Signal which uses alternate traffic entering the eastbound right lane on the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge. The Main Street on-ramp merges with a bus queue jumper lane originating directly from the Phibbs Exchange. eastbound Highway 1 traffic continues through the interchange in the two left lanes without any merging/weaving with on-coming traffic.
See the Main St./Dollarton Highway Interchange Adaptive Signal in operation:
Active Transportation Improvements
The Main Street/ Dollarton Interchange works has some exciting new upgrades for pedestrians and cyclists including:
- Widening of the Main Street on-ramp to accommodate two travel lanes and a 3.0 m multi-use path (MUP);
- A new multi-use path (MUP) on the north side of Main Street.
- Approach improvements for the existing pedestrian tunnel under the Highway 1 westbound off-ramp to Main Street westbound
- Improvements to the pedestrian and cyclist crossing of Dollarton Hwy at the north end of the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge
Main Street On-ramp Retaining Wall
A cast-in-place soil anchor retaining wall has been constructed along the Highway 1 eastbound on-ramp immediate north of the Ironworkers. The new wall is approximately 118m long and a max height of 6.2m. This concrete wall has accommodated the widening of the Main Street off-ramp and 3.0 m multi-use path onto the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge.