Highway 1 Main Street/Dollarton Highway Interchange
The new Interchange includes the reconfiguration of the Main Street/Dollarton Interchange on-ramp to improve safety, reduce traffic interruptions and to provide better transit accessibility to and from Highway 1.
The Main Street/Dollarton Highway Interchange is the most heavily used interchange and its current configuration creates a choke point for drivers travelling to the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge. The new Interchange includes the reconfiguration of the Main Street/Dollarton Interchange on-ramp to improve safety and reduce traffic interruptions and to provide better transit accessibility to and from Highway 1.
Construction started Summer 2020 - Completion Summer 2021
- Opening of the new Highway 1 eastbound flyover ramp – Summer 2021
- Opening of the new north side multi-use path on Main Street – Summer 2021
Main Street/Dollarton Highway Interchange Adaptive Traffic Signal
The Main Street On-Ramp and the Highway 1 EB On-Ramp will be controlled using an Adaptive Traffic Signal which will alternate traffic entering the Eastbound right lane on the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge. The Main Street On-Ramp will merge with a bus queue jumper lane originating directly from the Phibbs Exchange. Eastbound Highway 1 traffic will be able to continue through the interchange in the two left lanes without any merging/weaving with on-coming traffic.
See the Main St./Dollarton Highway Interchange Adaptive Signal in operation:
Active Transportation Improvements
The Main Street/ Dollarton Interchane works includes some exciting new upgrades for pedestrians and cyclists which includies:
- Widening of the Main Street On-Ramp to accommodate two travel lanes and a 3.0 m multi-use path (MUP);
- A new multi-use path (MUP) on the north side of Main Street.
- Approach improvements for the existing pedestrian tunnel under the Highway 1 WB Off-Ramp to Main Street westbound
- Improvements to the pedestrian and cyclist crossing of Dollarton Hwy at the north end of the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge
Main Street On-ramp Retaining Wall
A cast-in-place soil anchor retaining wall is under construction along the Highway 1 EB On-Ramp immediate north of the Ironworkers. The new wall will be approximately 118m long and a max height of 6.2m. This concrete wall will accommodate the widening of the Main Street Off-ramp and 3.0 m multi-use path onto the Irownworkers Memorial Bridge.
While this wall is under construction there will be no access along the on-ramp to the west side of the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge and pedestrians and cyclists will be required to detour along the east side sidewalk instead.