Supporting Documents for Fuel Tax Refund for Persons with Disabilities
Your registration for the fuel tax refund program for persons with disabilities can’t be started until we receive all of your supporting documents.
You must include the following supporting documents when you register:
- Copy of your identification
- Copy of the vehicle registration
- Copy of a power of attorney (if someone applies on your behalf)
- Documentation to confirm your disability
You can send us your supporting documents five ways:
- Scan and attach your documents electronically if you register online using eTaxBC
- Fax your documents to 250-356-2195
- Email your documents to REVREGCL@Victoria1.gov.bc.ca
- Bring your documents to any Service BC Centre
- Mail your documents to:
Ministry of Finance
PO Box 9435 Stn Prov Govt
Victoria BC V8W 9V3
If you register online using eTaxBC and send us your supporting documents separately, you must write your eTaxBC registration confirmation number on every page. This is so we can match your documents to your online registration.
If you own or lease more than one vehicle, you must designate one vehicle for this program and provide the licence plate number on the registration form.
If you're the registered owner or lessee of the vehicle, include a copy of your valid vehicle registration. If the vehicle is registered in B.C., this is the registration paper from the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC).
If you’re not the registered owner or lessee but you have an ownership interest in the vehicle, include:
To qualify, the vehicle must be registered to an individual (includes joint ownership); it can’t be registered to a company or business.
If the vehicle registration expires, you can register for the program but only apply for fuel tax refunds during the time when your registration was valid.
If you’re not sure if your vehicle qualifies, contact us.
Ownership interest in a vehicle means you may not be listed on the vehicle registration but you still have an interest in the vehicle, such as contributing to its purchase or maintenance.
For example, one spouse has a driver’s licence and the other doesn’t, but both contributed to the purchase of the family vehicle. The spouse who registers the vehicle is the registered owner and the spouse that doesn’t have a driver’s licence has an ownership interest in the vehicle.
If another person registers you and signs on your behalf, they must have Power of Attorney for you. A copy of the Power of Attorney must be included with your registration documents.
The type of disability you have determines the document you need to confirm your disability. The documents we accept to confirm your disability are:
If you’re registering because you have one of the following disabilities, your doctor or nurse practitioner must complete the Doctor or Nurse Practitioner’s Certification form (PDF) (or step 5 of the paper registration form), even if you register online using eTaxBC.
- You suffer loss of a limb
- You are permanently dependent on a wheelchair
- You have complete and permanent functional loss of the lower limbs
- You have a permanent impairment of movement to the extent that it would be hazardous for you to use public transportation (whether or not public transportation is available)
- You have a permanent mental disability to the extent that it would be hazardous for you to use public transportation (whether or not public transportation is available)
If you're registering because you have permanent sight impairment, include:
- a completed Doctor or Nurse Practitioner’s Certification form (PDF) (or step 5 of the paper registration form), or
- a letter from the CNIB stating you have permanent sight impairment and aren't eligible to hold a driver's licence, and the effective date of the impairment.
- that you get a 100% disability pension from active service in any war while in Her Majesty’s forces, and
- the date you began receiving your disability pension
If you’re registering because you get disability assistance or a supplement from the Ministry of Social Development and Social Innovation, include a:
- Release of Information form (PDF), signed by a Ministry of Social Development and Social Innovation employee, that shows that you get disability assistance or a supplement
If you no longer qualify for disability assistance or a supplement from the Ministry of Social Development and Social Innovation, please contact us because you may no longer qualify for the fuel tax refund.