Register for Fuel Tax Refund for Persons with Disabilities
You can register for the fuel tax refund program for persons with disabilities if you:
- Are 16 years old or older
- Are the registered owner or lessee of a vehicle or have an ownership interest in a vehicle registered to someone else, such as a spouse, caregiver or relative who lives with you in the same household
- Have at least one qualifying disability
You may qualify for the fuel tax refund program if you:
- Suffer loss of a limb
- Are permanently dependent on a wheelchair
- Have complete and permanent functional loss of the lower limbs
- Have a permanent impairment of movement to the extent that it would be hazardous for you to use public transit (whether or not it’s available)
- Have a permanent mental disability to the extent that it would be hazardous for you to use public transit (whether or not it’s available)
- Have a permanent sight impairment to the extent that you are not eligible to hold a driver’s licence
- Receive a 100% veteran disability pension through active service in any war while in Her Majesty’s forces
- Receive disability assistance or a disability supplement from the Ministry of Social Development and Social Innovation
Find out what supporting documents you must include when you register.
If you qualify for the program, you will receive a confirmation letter in the mail. The letter includes your registration number and your effective date (the date from which you can apply for a fuel tax refund). You must apply for the refund within four years of the date you paid the tax.
Start keeping your fuel receipts right away because you’ll need them when you apply for your refund.