Appeals for property transfer tax

You have the right to appeal when you receive a Notice of Assessment, a first time home buyers’ refund denial letter, a newly built home exemption refund denial letter or an additional property transfer tax refund denial letter.

Contact us before you file an appeal to find out why you received a Notice of Assessment or why your refund was denied.

Any outstanding assessments and interest are payable even if you have filed an appeal. 

File an appeal

To file an appeal you must submit a notice of objection to the Minister of Finance within 90 days of the date shown on the Notice of Assessment or refund denial letter. Your notice of objection should include:

  • Your name
  • Your address
  • Your telephone number
  • The property transfer tax return number
  • The reason for your objection
  • Facts and documents supporting your appeal

Learn more about how to file your appeal and the appeal review process.

If you don't agree with the minister's decision, you may have the right to appeal further