Filing Requirements for Oil & Natural Gas Well Operators

A well operator is a person or company responsible for all activities related to their wells.

As a well operator, you are required to provide various reports to the Oil and Gas Commission (OGC) during and after drilling your wells. Read the report guidelines (PDF) for more information.

You must also file a BC-11 so we can add your well to the oil and natural gas royalty system.

To obtain the facility linkage change form, contact the Oil and Gas Commission.

BC-11, Notice of Commencement or Suspension of Operations

The BC-11 provides information about the attributes of your well, where the well is located, and who is responsible for operating it.

You submit a BC-11 to report any of the following operations at your well:

  • initial commencement of well production, injection or disposal
  • suspension of well production, injection or disposal
  • resumption of well production, injection or disposal

If you are gas testing, see the OGC guidelines (PDF).

Unique Well Identifier (UWI) Changes

Each well will be assigned a projected Unique Well Identifier (UWI) as part of the well licensing process with OGC.

When OGC sets up the well in their data system, they use the projected UWI. Once you start providing completion reports and directional surveys to OGC, OGC will change the UWI, if needed, to reflect your most current data. You may not be aware of this change and use the projected UWI on your BC-11.

Royalties can’t be collected and credits can’t be applied on the well until we receive the updated UWI information from OGC and can add the well correctly to the royalty system. If OGC has changed the UWI and it doesn’t match the UWI on your BC-11, we will contact you and request that you use the updated UWI going forward.

If you have questions about your UWI(s), contact OGC. If you have questions about the status of your BC-11, contact us.

Due Date

You must file a separate BC-11 for each well or completed zone within a well by the 20th day following the month the well status changed.

If the due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday or statutory holiday, the due date is the next business day.

If you file your reports after the due date, you may be charged late filing penalties.

Submit online


If you need to amend your BC-11, contact us to find out how to make an amendment.

Keep working papers and supporting documentation until you obtain written permission for their disposal in the event that you are audited.

If you have any questions, email us at Oil&GasRoyalty