Filing the BC-12, Reporting Interest Statement

The BC-12 declares your proportionate shares of production that you must pay royalties or taxes on. The BC-12 also reports changes to your reporting interests in well events and tracts.

The facility operator must submit the BC-12 for all royalty or tax paying partners when:

  • a new well is connected to the facility (oil or natural gas)
  • natural gas from an oil well event starts to be gathered for sale
  • any product is sold, including product that is produced and sold during testing or well completion
  • partners change royalty/tax paying responsibilities because they begin or stop taking their share of product in kind
  • those with royalty/tax paying interest in a well have acquired an interest in an existing well that is already connected to a facility

Provide a copy of your completed BC-12 to your royalty/tax paying partners so they are aware of their responsibility. If your partners disagree with the report and changes are made, you must file a new BC-12.

Due Date

You must file the BC-12 by the 20th day following the month there was an addition or change in the ownership interests for your well event or tract.

If the due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday or statutory holiday, the due date is the next business day.

If you file your reports after the due date, you will be charged late filing penalties.

Submit by email


If you need to amend your BC-12, you will have to resubmit the entire form. Please read the guidelines (PDF) for further information.

Keep working papers and supporting documentation until you obtain written permission for their disposal in the event that you are audited.

If you have any questions, email us at Oil&