Mineral tax return

You must file a mineral tax return to report the mineral tax you owe. Each operator must file a separate return for each mine they operated. However, you may elect to file a single return if you operate your mine in a partnership.

This return must be filed within six months after the mine’s fiscal year end. For example, if your mine's year end is December 31, you must file your return no later than June 30 of the following year. If the due date falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, the due date is the next business day.

When you prepare your return, all amounts must be in Canadian dollars and rounded to the nearest dollar. Your tax return may be audited to ensure you’re paying the right amount of tax.

submit online

Submit online using eTaxBC


Submit the printed return (PDF)

When you file your return, compare your total tax owing to the sum of your monthly instalments. If you have an outstanding balance, interest will apply and payment is due with your return. If you’ve overpaid, you’ll earn interest on your excess payment.

If you file your return after the due date, you’ll be charged interest and penalties.

However, as part of the B.C. COVID-19 Action Plan, interest won’t be charged from March 24 – September 30, 2020 on any outstanding balances. Interest will be charged again effective October 1, 2020. You’re still responsible for paying the outstanding balance.


You can amend a tax return up to five years after the end of the year you want to change. To amend a return:

  1. Complete a new copy of the tax return with the changes you want to make
  2. Write “Amendment” and the current date clearly at the top of the tax return
  3. Submit the amended tax return