B.C. Hunting Important Notices

Guide Outfitter Licence application open for 2020/21

Licence applications for the upcoming 2020/21 licence year are open through BC Hunting Online. Guide Outfitters are encouraged to submit licence applications early to ensure the licence is processed in time for the hunting season.

See the Guide Outfitter Licence website for details and eligibility, and the Quick Reference Guide for instructions on how to apply.

February 3, 2020

Province taking steps to prevent deadly deer disease in B.C.

The Province is implementing a mandatory sampling program that requires hunters to submit the heads from deer harvested in specific wildlife management units in the Kootenay Region, after Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks discovered five animals with Chronic Wasting Disease 60 km south of the B.C. border.

The Province has been monitoring for the disease since 2002, targeting the Peace and East Kootenay Regions as high-risk areas for disease entry due to its presence in Alberta and Montana. No infected animals have been found in B.C so far, however, more sampling is needed to inform any additional response.

The provincial Wildlife Health Program is calling on all hunters, especially those in the Peace and East Kootenay, to bring deer, moose and elk heads to drop-off locations for testing. Starting September 1, 2019 until November 30, 2019, hunters will be required to submit the heads of mule deer and white-tailed deer harvested in wildlife management units 4-1, 4-2, 4-3, 4-4, 4-5, 4-6 and 4-7 within one week of harvest.

Anyone encountering an animal exhibiting the symptoms of Chronic Wasting Disease (thin, drooling, poor coordination, stumbling) should report it to the provincial Wildlife Health Program at 250-751-3219 or the Report all Poachers and Polluters hotline at 1-877-952-7277.

For more information on Chronic Wasting Disease in B.C., and for drop-off locations and instructions, visit: www.gov.bc.ca/chronicwastingdisease.ca

Updated August 15, 2019

Failure to submit a permit to accompany report

A person who fails to submit a permit to accompany report within 10 days after the hunt authorized by the permit is concluded is ineligible to apply for or obtain a licence, permit or authorization issued under the Wildlife Act until the report is submitted.

Since spring of 2018, permits to accompany are processed and issued online in the BC Hunting Online Services.

Authorizations required for transport by person who killed or took wildlife or fish

Persons transporting wildlife or fish that they killed or took, or that a person they supervised killed, are required to:

  • Produce all authorizations, or legible copies of authorizations, or FWIDS in specified circumstances, that were required to lawfully kill or take the fish or wildlife
  • Carry all species licences, both cancelled and uncancelled, issued to the person for the current licence year, for the type of wildlife being transported

Notice of decision and deemed receipt provisions

Notice of a decision under the Wildlife Act and regulations can be provided to a person by any of the prescribed methods (listed below).

The notice will be deemed to be received a prescribed number of days following delivery of notice (listed below), according to method of delivery.

Form of Notice

Notice Received or Deemed to be Received

Physical copy left with person or their agent.

Notice received immediately

Physical copy left in mailbox/mail slot at last known address or person/business.

3rd day after notice is left.

Physical copy attached to a door or other conspicuous place at last known address of person/business.

3rd day after notice is left.

Physical copy sent by registered or ordinary mail to last known address of person/business.

14th day after it is mailed. 

Electronic copy sent to an address or number provided to the Ministry by the person, or to an electronic account prescribed by the Director registered to that person or agent.

3rd day after the notice or document is sent electronically.

June 24, 2019


The 2019 Fall Limited Entry Hunting Application Deadline is Extended.

The deadline for applications is 11:59:59 pm June 7, 2019.

The tentative number of authorizations for moose LEH in the Cariboo Region has now been updated. It can be viewed on the LEH application page and in the online LEH synopsis. As with all published LEH authorizations, these numbers are tentative and subject to change prior to running the final draw.

May 30, 2019

Joss-Tsuius-Mabel Motor Vehicle Prohibition

In 2018, the Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development enacted a motor vehicle closure above 1700m in the Joss-Tsuius-Mable Mountain Area, except on permitted forest service roads from March 1 to November 30. The closure was established to prevent the off-road vehicle-related damage of sensitive ecosystems and to mitigate disturbance of grizzly bear and ungulate summer ranges. The 2018-2020 Hunting and Trapping Regulations Synopsis states that snowmobiles are allowed within this area, which is not consistent with the Motor Vehicle Prohibition Regulation of the Wildlife Act. However, the intent of the closure is to restrict motor vehicle access to permitted forest service roads, while allowing snowmobile access.

This notice is to inform users in the area that the part of the regulation that applies to the prohibition of snowmobiles in the Joss-Tsuius-Mabel Mountain Area will not be enforced.

Please contact the Thompson Okanagan Resource Management office at 1-250-490-8200 with any questions or concerns.

March 21, 2019

Attention All Resident Hunters

Resident hunters are required to prove they are a resident of British Columbia every 3 years.  Hunter's Fish and Wildlife online profile will display the residency expiry date.  If your residency credential has not yet expired, but will within six months, visit a Service BC, or FrontCounter BC office to show your proof of residency and ask the counter agent to update your residency credential for another 3 years.  You can also update your residency by logging into your online Fish and Wildlife profile, and selecting “Update Residency”.  Log in to your online profile at at www.gov.bc.ca/hunting,

December 5, 2018

Summary of Moose Hunting Regulations in the North Skeena Region

This document provides a summary of the 2018-2020 major moose hunting regulations in the North Skeena Region (Management Units 6-17 to 6-29). Hunters are encouraged to print a copy to refer to while hunting.

Please consult the 2018-2020 Hunting and Trapping Regulation Synopsis and the 2018-2019 Limited Entry Hunting Regulations Synopsis prior to your hunt.

October 03, 2018


Stay up to date on regulation changes and vehicle/access restrictions during wildfire season. While planning your hunting expedition please see B.C. Wildfire Service Fire Bans and Restrictions for the most up to date information.  For in-season changes to Wildlife Act regulations visit www.gov.bc.ca/hunting.

August 20, 2018, 2 pm PST

Changes to Black Bear Seasons on Haida Gwaii     

 Information Bulletin

April 12, 2018, 2 pm PST

Online Services Expanded for Guide Outfitters

Information Bulletin

April 09, 2018, 4 pm PST

New Wildlife Regulations Coming into Effect April 1

Information Bulletin

April 03, 2018, 10 am PST

British Columbia Moose Fact Sheet, December 2017

British Columbia Moose Fact Sheet, December 2017 [PDF]

December 21, 2017, 2 pm PST

White-Tailed Deer Management Frequently Asked Questions

White-Tailed Deer Management Frequently Asked Questions [PDF]

December 6, 2017, 2 pm PST

B.C. Government Ends Grizzly Bear Hunt


December 18, 2017, 9:30 am

Hunting Closures Will Help Protect Moose in the Cariboo

Two areas of the Cariboo region severely impacted by wildfires this summer will be closed to moose hunting for the Oct 15-31 and Nov 1-15 seasons.

Zones A and C of Management Unit 5-13 in the Cariboo region contain high quality moose habitat severely affected by the Chilcotin Plateau Fire. In addition, the area is important to First Nations for sustenance hunting.

Closure of these zones applies to all licensed hunting, including resident and guided hunters. The moose hunting closure announced today is for an area immediately North of Highway 20 and West of Williams Lake and Quesnel. The closure was recommended by ministry biologists. It comes on the heels of a ban on motor vehicles for the purpose of licensed hunting within the Chilcotin Plateau and Hanceville-Riske Creek area last week.

These measures are a first step to mitigate wildlife vulnerability to hunters as a result of increased access and sight lines following the burning of major tracts of forest this past summer.

The areas impacted by today’s hunting ban will be assessed over the winter to determine what levels of sustainable hunting opportunity will be available in the coming years.

For zones A, B and C of Management Unit 5-13 please click here to see Map.

Quote from Doug Donaldson, Minister of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development:

“This has been an unprecedented wildfire season, with parts of the Cariboo particularly hard hit. With moose populations already declining in this management zone, we need to take steps now to protect wildlife and ensure healthy moose populations in the future.”

October 6, 2017, 2 pm PST

New Hunting ATV & Motor Vehicle Restrictions

The B.C. government is taking action to protect big game wildlife in areas severely impacted by wildfires this summer. 

In the long-term wildlife benefit from wildfire; however, in the short-term there can be negative impacts. For example, wildfires in the Thompson and Cariboo regions have enabled motor vehicle access by hunters to remote moose and mule deer habitats that were previously only accessible by foot. In addition, loss of vegetation from fires has significantly increased lines of sight for hunters.

To address the increased vulnerability of wildlife to hunters, two motor vehicle restrictions are being implemented under the Wildlife Act:

  • ATV for Hunting Restrictions in M.U. 3-28, 3-29 and 3-30 and that portion of M.U. 3 -17 North of Highway 99.  Click here to see Map
  • Motor Vehicle Hunting Restrictions, except designated roads, within portions of M.U. 5-4, 5-13 and 5-14.  Click here to see Map

The restrictions are expected to be in place until access and visibility conditions return to a state where wildlife is less vulnerable. These new restrictions do not apply to First Nations exercising aboriginal rights to hunt.

The restrictions are immediate and government will monitor their effectiveness. Dependent on the review, further hunting restrictions may be implemented.

September 29, 2017, 4 pm PST

Notice to Hunters: Tsilhqot’in Nation Declared Title Land

On June 26, 2014, the Supreme Court of Canada granted the Tsilhqot’in Nation a declaration of Aboriginal title.  As a result of the Supreme Court of Canada decision, the status of these lands has changed and they are not publicly available for hunting at this time.  A map of the declared title area is available.

Hunters are advised not to enter Tsilhqot’in title land for the purpose of hunting.  Please contact the Fish and Wildlife Branch at 250-387-9771 or fishandwildlife@gov.bc.ca for additional information.

August 16, 2017, 4 pm PST

Hunting & Trapping Regulations Synopsis Updates & Corrections

Updates and corrections to content in the 2016-2018 Hunting and Trapping Regulations Synopsis can be found in the online version of the synopsis and are highlighted red.  They are summarised at Hunting and Trapping Regulations Synopsis Updates and Corrections.

August 19, 2016, 4:45 pm PDT

BC Hunting Online Service Now Available

The new B.C. Hunting online service is now available at www.gov.bc.ca/hunting. You will need a basic BCeID to access the online service. Registration for a Basic BCeID is quick and easy. You can also use a Personal BCeID, if you choose; this may be obtained online but requires in-person verification.

The fall 2016 Limited Entry Hunting draw is now open for applications. You can apply online at www.gov.bc.ca/hunting or visit Service BC, FrontCounter BC or participating vendor locations.

April 25, 2016, 9:45 am PDT

Hunting Services Going Online!

In April 2016 the B.C. government will introduce a new online system improving the overall efficiency of hunter services. Initially the online service is for Limited Entry Hunting (LEH) applications.

The BC Hunting online system gives you instant access to a range of products and services. In April, hunters can apply online for Limited Entry Hunting (LEH). The draws will follow the same rules as before, but you’ll be able to apply from home, at any time of day and track your application(s) in real time.

In the future the system will integrate a range of online services for hunters, including licensing.

Fish & Wildlife ID (FWID)

To get started in April, you’ll need a FWID to apply for LEH or to buy a hunting licence. The FWID is a permanent number linked to your personal online profile and will be your passport to hunting services.Fish and Wildlife ID

The FWID replaces the old BC Hunter Number card. If you already have a BC Resident Hunter Number, your new FWID will be the same number, with three extra digits.

It’s easy to get your FWID. Come April, just go online and follow the simple registration process. Whether you’re a first-time hunter or already have a Hunter Number, the system will automatically generate your new FWID.

There's no cost to get your FWID.

Don’t want to use the online service?

Just drop in to any Service BC or FrontCounter BC location or call the FrontCounter BC Contact Centre at 1-877-855-3222.

Watch for these new services coming online in April.

Changes to LEH applications

The B.C. government no longer sells paper application cards for the LEH draw. If you previously purchased a paper application card, you can use it for the fall 2016 draw, or submit the unused card for a refund.

To request a refund for unused LEH application cards, fill out the return address section on the back of the unused application card and print “Refund” across the front. If you are submitting more than one card, include all of them in one envelope. Requests must be postmarked no later than December 31, 2016, and mailed to:

LEH Refund
Fish and Wildlife Branch
2975 Jutland Road
PO Box 9389 Stn Prov Govt
Victoria BC V8W 9M7

Please be sure to print clearly. Refund requests with incomplete or illegible names and/or addresses won't be processed.  Please make sure the "return address" area on the back of the application card has your first and last name, Hunter Number or FWID (if available) and your complete mailing address.

If you're submitting more than one LEH application card for a refund, you can include all of them in one envelope. Please ensure that one of the application cards is correctly filled out as described in steps 1 and 2 above.  Only one refund cheque per envelope will be issued. Do not submit more than one Hunter Number and name in an envelope.

For more information about the new online service and changes to the LEH application process:

March 3, 2016, 2 pm PST

Notice to Hunters: Changes Coming for Hunter Registration & Limited Entry Hunting (LEH) Draws

The B.C. government is introducing a new online system for hunters in 2016, making it easier to register and apply for Limited Entry Hunting (LEH) draws. You can submit LEH applications online, or at Service BC, FrontCounter BC or vendor locations. The online service will be available for the Fall 2016 LEH Draw. More information will be provided in the 2016-2017 Limited Entry Hunting Regulations Synopsis.

You can no longer purchase paper application forms for the Fall 2016 LEH Draw or the 2016 Special Sheep LEH Draw. Application forms for the Spring 2016 LEH Draw can be purchased only at the following locations:

    • All Service BC locations during regular business hours, Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. Note: You don't need a hunter number or license to purchase an application form.
    • Italian Sporting Goods, 804 Renfrew Street, Vancouver
    • Reliable Gun & Tackle, 3227 Fraser Street, Vancouver
    • International Shooting Supplies, 14904 104th Avenue, Surrey
    • Wholesale Sports, 20175 Langley Bypass, Langley
    • Belles Sports, 33089 First Avenue, Mission

If you have already purchased application forms, you can use them for Spring 2016 or Fall 2016 LEH Draws. After the Fall 2016 LEH Draw, paper application forms will NOT be accepted. For more information, see the frequently asked questions. You can also email the Fish and Wildlife Branch at HuntingTransformation@gov.bc.ca or call 1-877-855-3222.

December 10, 2015, 5 pm PST