Emergency Support Services Training
The Emergency Support Services (ESS) program helps people affected by large emergencies. It may also assist in disasters affecting a few members of a community, such as house fires or floods.
The ESS Program relies on trained members of a community to meet the needs of people in an emergency. Most communities have an ESS team that works with local businesses to share resources during a crisis. Preparing for an emergency depends on the energy, creativity, commitment and dedication of volunteers.
How You Can Help
Your community needs your help to prepare for emergencies. As a trained ESS Program responder, you will:
- Inform community businesses about the program;
- Recruit and train other volunteers;
- Create and maintain contact lists;
- Inform the public of help available following a disaster; and
- Set-up and operate reception centres and group lodging facilities.
Volunteering offers you an opportunity to help others when your help is needed most. Consider becoming an ESS Program responder if you:
- Enjoy helping people;
- Have good communication skills;
- Can respond on short notice;
- Work well in a team;
- Are in good health; and
- Like adventure.