2018 Structure Protection Specialist Information:
For the 2018 wildfire season, anyone who may be interested in becoming or is currently trained as an Structure Protection Specialist (SPS) is required to apply to the British Columbia Wildfire Service posting (link provided below). The SPS position will be working jointly with the Office of the Fire Commissioner (OFC) and British Columbia Wildfire Services (BCWS) at site levels.
Wildland Urban Interface Fires
Wildland fires can quickly spread from the forest and become interface fires, putting your property and community at risk. Please help keep your family and home safe by preparing in advance, and learning how to reduce the fire danger around your community and fire prevention for the interface areas. Know the risks (PreparedBC Wildfires) in your area and check BC Wildfire Service for the most up-to-date information on fires.
Local Government Resources
- EMBC Interim Policy and Procedures Bulletin Fire Season 2017 (PDF)
- Addendum to EMBC Interim Policy and Procedures Bulletin Fire Season 2017 (PDF)
- Reimbursement Rates 2017 (PDF) (Rates effective July 01, 2017)
- FireSmart: Protecting Your Community from Wildfire
Training Resources - Structure Protection Program (SPP)
- SPP 115 (Structure Protection training workshop) background information (PDF)
- SPP WFF 1 (Wildland Firefighter Level 1 training workshop) background information (PDF)
- SPP Training Request Form (DOCX)
- SPP Application to Qualify as a Trainer Form (DOCX)
- Home Owners FireSmart Manual (PDF, 3.72MB)