Local Assistants to the Fire Commissioner Training & Resources
Local Assistants to the Fire Commissioner (LAFC) act as agents of the Office of the Fire Commissioner (OFC). They conduct inspections and investigations that they submit to the OFC. As a Local Assistant, you are a pillar of your community and provide very valuable services to your area of jurisdiction.
The Office of the Fire Commissioner recommends this training to individuals who are current, or soon to be appointed, Local Assistants to the Fire Commissioner (LAFC).
This training clarifies the duties you will perform as a LAFC, how the law protects you in your role, the authority the designation provides, and your obligations to the Fire Commissioner.
At the completion of this course, you will be able to describe:
- the present structure of the British Columbia Fire Service
- the scope and application of the Fire Services Act
- the duties and responsibilities of LAFC
- the powers and protection of LAFC
Time to Complete
This course can take up to 10 hours to complete. You must finish this course within one week of your registration date. We will send you a certificate of completion to acknowledge your success in this course once it is complete.
Cost & Registration
This course is available to fire service staff at no cost. For information or to register contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the date of the course you wish to apply for. There are only 10 seats per course. If you have a second choice, please include that in your e-mail.
While course registration is free, there is a cost and resource impact for our office, so it is important that each applicant commits to the completion of the course prior to applying.
|Date of Course||Registration Cut-off|
|November 4-12, 2019||October 31|
|December 2-9, 2019||November 28|
Completing this course does not result in automatically become an LAFC. If you are interested in becoming an LAFC, please refer to Part I, Section 6 of the Fire Services Act , and speak to the OFC Fire Service Advisor in your area.
A certificate of completion will be issued to the successful participants. The course includes a survey for each participant; we encourage your feedback so that we can maximize the benefit of this service.
Fire Reporting Forms
Printable and electronic forms for LAFC to report fires are available on the Fire Incident Reporting Manuals & Forms page.
These resources are helpful for Local Assistants to conduct fire inspections.
- Instructor's Guide (PDF, 136MB)
- Participant's Handbook (PDF, 163MB)
- Inspection Procedure Guide (PDF)
- LAFC Inspection Basics (PDF)
- LAFC Inspection Process (PDF)
- LAFC Review & Inspect Flowchart (PDF)
- Emergency Lighting & Exit Sign Inspection Checklist Sample (PDF)
- Fire Extinguisher Inspection Checklist Sample (PDF)
- Fire Safety Plan Inspection Review Checklist (PDF)
- Fire Safety Plan Review Checklist (PDF)
- Inspection Checklist (PDF)
- Inspection Testing & Maintenance of Fire Alarm System Checklist (PDF)
- LAFC Fire Hazards Identification Checklist (PDF)
- LAFC Fire Hazards Identification Checklist (WHMIS) (PDF)