Legislation, Regulations & Codes for Fire Safety
The Office of the Fire Commissioner administers the Fire Services Act. Under this legislation, the function of the Office is established, and includes provisions for:
- Local Assistants to the Fire Commissioner appointments
- fire safety and prevention requirements
- the Order and Appeal process
- Adoption of the model National Fire Code into Provincial Regulation
- Ministerial Order adopting the 2018 BC Fire Code Regulation
- Ministerial Order adopting the 2012 BC Fire Code Regulation
British Columbia Fire Code
The British Columbia Fire Code contains a set of minimum requirements for providing an acceptable level of fire safety in a community. It adopts the model National Fire Code and adds unique provisions specific to British Columbia's needs.
British Columbia Building Code
The British Columbia Building Code provides the minimum requirements for a safely built environment, and includes building extensions, alterations and upgrades. It adopts the model National Building Code and adds unique provisions specific to British Columbia’s needs.
Check the Office of Housing and Construction Standards webpage for more information about fire and building code development in British Columbia.
For more information regarding fire safety and fire prevention requirements, please contact the Office of the Fire Commissioner.