Firefighter standards and training
Firefighter training and competency standards are maintained and published by the Office of the Fire Commissioner as required by the Fire Services Act. Introductory training is available for Local Assistants to the Fire Commissioner and those interested in structure protection firefighting.
On this page
- Firefighter minimum training and competency standards
- Local Assistant to the Fire Commissioner training
- Structure protection program training and supplementary materials
Firefighter minimum training standards
The Structure Firefighters Minimum Training Standards sets minimum levels of training requirements for the provision of fire services in each community so that firefighters are effective and operating in a safe manner.
Read more about training standards and request materials.
Local assistant to the fire commissioner training
This training is required for individuals who are currently or will soon be appointed as a Local Assistant to the Fire Commissioner (LAFC).
This training clarifies the duties you will perform as a LAFC, how the law protects you in your role, the authority the designation provides, and your obligations to the fire commissioner.
At the completion of this course, you will be able to describe:
- The present structure of the British Columbia fire service
- The scope and application of the Fire Services Act
- The duties and responsibilities of LAFC
- The powers and protection of LAFC
- Basic fundamentals for inspection - Instructor's guide (PDF, 4MB)
- Basic fundamentals for inspection - participant's handbook (PDF, 3.2MB)
Course length and delivery
This course may take up to 10 hours to complete. You must finish this course within one week of your course start date.
This introductory course is delivered online.
Cost and registration
- Free for individuals nominated to be an LAFC
- Email: OFC@gov.bc.ca
- Include your preferred course date and a second choice as seats are limited
While the course is free, there is a cost and resource impact for our office, so it is important that you are committed to completing the course before you apply.
Date of Course
|May 1 to May 8, 2023||April 27|
|May 15 to May 22, 2023||May 11|
|June 5 to June 12, 2023||June 1|
|July 17 to July 24, 2023||July 13|
|August 14 to August 21, 2023||August 10|
A certificate of completion will be issued to the successful participants. The course includes a survey for each participant; we encourage your feedback so that we can maximize the benefit of this service.
You don't automatically become an LAFC after finishing this course. If you are interested in becoming one, please refer to Part I, Section 6 of the Fire Services Act, and speak to the fire service advisor in your area.
Structure protection program training and supplementary materials
The structure protection program training is provided by the BC Wildfire Service by assisting with training and deployment of local fire departments for additional personnel and resources to protect communities from wildfire.