Who Must Have Their Criminal Record Checked

Under the Criminal Records Review Act, you must have a criminal record review conducted by the Criminal Records Review Program (CRRP) if you:

  • Work with children or vulnerable adults, and
  • Have unsupervised access to children or vulnerable adults during your employment, occupation or education, and
  • Are licensed by or receiving funding from the provincial government

This can include:

  • Hospital employees
  • Non-teaching staff in schools such as custodians and administrative support
  • Early childhood educators
  • Daycare employees
  • Employees and volunteers in facilities that care for vulnerable adults
  • Registrants of Licensing Colleges
  • Employees of contracted organizations

Who is Not Required to be Checked

The Criminal Records Review Act does not cover:

  • Nannies
  • Babysitters
  • Child minders for private companies
  • Municipal employees
  • Employees of contractors of private companies
  • Individuals requiring a work or travel visa

Employees of Companies Contracted by Provincially Operated or Funded Organizations

If you are an employee of a company that is contracted by a provincially operated or funded organization you may be required to have a criminal record check.

For example, if you have unsupervised access to vulnerable people at the publicly funded care facility where you are a contracted worker, you must have a criminal record check.


In order to teach in British Columbia you must undergo a criminal record check by the CRRP. Checks must be repeated every five years. Visit the Teacher Regulation Branch website for more information.

Post-Secondary Students

Post-secondary students working with vulnerable people as part of a practicum must undergo a criminal record check by the CRRP.

Family Child and Adult Care Centres

If you operate, work or volunteer for a licensed family-run childcare, or a licensed or registered adult care facility, you must undergo a criminal record check by the CRRP.

If you operate or work for an unlicensed but registered daycare, you must undergo a check.

If you are 12 years old or over and are normally present in a licensed childcare or licensed or registered adult care facility, you must also undergo a CRRP criminal record check.

Regulated Professions

You will need to undergo a criminal record check by the CRRP if you are a member of one of these professions:

International Employees

The Criminal Record Review Program recommends that organizations hiring employees from outside Canada request that applicants provide a criminal record check from their home country in addition to completing a criminal record check in B.C.