Genealogy Certified Copies of a Marriage Registration
A genealogy marriage registration photocopy provides eligible applicants with a photocopy of the original marriage registration.
You don’t always have to apply to the Vital Statistics Agency to view marriage records for genealogical research. You may be able to view the original marriage record online if the marriage event took place more than 75 years ago. Marriage records for British Columbia date back as far as 1872. The Vital Statistics Agency and BC Archives have made it possible to search for marriage records through BC Archives’ electronic index. Many marriage records available through BC Archives also include an image of the registration.
Genealogy Certified Copy of a Marriage Registration
Who can Order a Genealogy Certified Copy of a Marriage Registration?
Genealogy certified copies of a marriage registration are available to:
- either party to the marriage
- a person with written authorization from a person who is party to the marriage
- officers of provincial governments or the government of Canada who require the registration for the discharge of their official duties
- any other person who satisfies the registrar general concerning the good faith of the person’s cause for requiring the registration
- if both parties to the marriage are deceased, the nearest living relative of either person upon production of proof of relationship and proof of death for either party to the marriage; or
- any person, if
- both parties to the marriage have been deceased for 20 years or more, or
- more than 75 years have passed since the marriage of the parties.
How to Order a Genealogy Certified Copy of a Marriage Registration
After you have confirmed that you are eligible to receive a genealogy certified copy of a marriage registration, you can apply in either of the following two ways:
Send a completed Application for Genealogy Certificate (VSA 013) form (PDF, 796KB) with payment to:
Vital Statistics Agency
PO Box 9657 Stn Prov Govt
Bring a completed Application for Genealogy Certificate (VSA 013) form (PDF, 796KB) with payment to any Service BC counter.
Cost & Processing Times
$50 per genealogy certificate. Prints within 20 business days, plus mailing time from Victoria to you.
Not available for the genealogy certificate.