What services are available at Justice Access Centres?

Information and self-help resources

Justice Access Centres provide one-on-one help from staff and self-help and information services. Resources include booklets, videos and websites.

If the centre does not have the materials you need, they will refer you to resources outside of the centre that can help you.

Access to services

If you have immediate safety concerns, staff may refer you to a doctor, a crisis line or the police. (If necessary, they will also help get you into court as quickly as possible.)

If you need help resolving a dispute about child support, staff can refer you to a family justice counsellor or the child support officer at the centre.

If you're not receiving the child support your child is entitled to receive, staff may refer you to the Family Maintenance Enforcement Program (FMEP).

Mediation and help with child support arrangements

You may be eligible to meet with one of the trained mediators at the centre. If you don’t qualify for mediation at the centre, staff will do their best to either help you with the next step or refer you to others who can help you.

Justice Access Centres also have a child support officer ready to help with child support arrangements.

Legal help

Depending on your situation, you may be eligible to receive advice from a lawyer at the centre. If not, staff can refer you to other lawyers or to organizations that can give you advice, sometimes for free.

Staff can also give you information about help from legal aid lawyer (if you qualify), community agency, pro bono clinic where lawyers provide free services, or private lawyer.

How much will it cost?

You may be asked about your income. This is because some services at the Justice Access Centre are available to everyone and some are available only to people with limited incomes. Also, some of the services the centre may refer you to will charge a fee.