Who can enrol?

The Family Maintenance Enforcement Program (FMEP) is a voluntary program. Anyone - a payor or a recipient - may choose to enrol in FMEP, provided you:

  • Live in British Columbia, and
  • Have a valid support order or agreement from any court in Canada, the United States, or other country which has a reciprocal agreement with B.C.

There are no fees to enrol in FMEP.

For more details, please visit the FMEP website.

One exception to voluntary enrollment

If you are eligible for B.C. income assistance, you will be required to assign your support rights to the Ministry of Social Development (SDSI) in order to receive benefits. You do this by signing an Assignment of Maintenance Rights form. When you assign your support right to SDSI, you are automatically enrolled in the FMEP. To find out more about receiving support payments while on income assistance, contact SDSI.