Do I need a lawyer to get a separation and divorce?

You are not required to have a lawyer to get a separation or divorce.

But depending on how complex your family issues are, it may be helpful to have a lawyer help you.

A family lawyer is a good source of information about separation and divorce and can also give you legal advice about what your rights and responsibilities are under the law. A family lawyer can also help you make an agreement to settle your family law disputes. If you do need to go to court, or you need a divorce from the court, a family lawyer can help.

If your divorce is uncontested — you both agree to the divorce and you are able to sort out your parenting plans and support issues— you may want to look at the divorce self-help kit on the Family Law in British Columbia website for a step-by-step guide.

We recommend that you get legal advice about separating or getting a divorce. This is especially true if you also need to settle the parenting arrangements and support issues, and/or the division of property.