What can I do if the other parent is late or refuses to pay their child support?

If you have a written agreement or order about child support, you can enrol with the Family Maintenance Enforcement Program (FMEP). The FMEP can enforce the order or agreement if necessary. This means they can help you get the child support due if the other parent is late in making payments or refuses to pay.

An agreement must first be filed with the court registry in order to be enrolled with FMEP.

Note: You cannot refuse to allow the other parent to have their parenting time or contact with the child if he or she fails to pay or falls behind on child support payments.

As well, a paying parent cannot withhold child support in situations where there are issues about parenting time or contact.